This policy relates to the privacy of your personal data at Milners Solicitors.
Established in 1897 Milners provide a wide range of legal services to its clients.
Under the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which governs Data Protection, we are required to give you a clear understanding of how and why we process your data and what our position is under our contract with you.
We are the Data Controller
As we set the rules and reasons for collecting data from you, we are classed as the Controller of your personal data. This means it is our responsibility to ensure that the data we collect is controlled effectively and protected at all times. Should you have any questions about the processing of your data please contact us directly using the following methods: By Post; Milners Whitehall Waterfront, 2 Riverside Way, Leeds LS1 4EH. Telephone; 0113 2450852. Email; email@example.com
How and why we process your personal data
Your personal data will be managed in accordance with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) under the following principles:
- Lawfulness, Fairness and Transparency:
- We are required to process your personal data as part of the performance of your contract with Milners or to comply with a legal obligation.
- Purpose Limitation:
- Your data will only be collected for specified, contractual and legitimate purposes meaning that as well as using the data to perform your contract, we may use it for:
- Newsletter subscriptions
- Other products/services provided by Milners that we may offer to you unless you tell us not to do so
- Data Minimisation:
- We will not ask for more information than we need for the purposes for which we are collecting it
- Data Accuracy:
- We will update our records when you inform us that your details have changed
- Storage Limitation:
- We will retain your personal data for the length of time needed to complete the initial request and for a minimum of 6 years following completion of your matter. For further information please refer to our Data Retention Policy which is available on request.
- Integrity and Confidentiality:
- We have implemented technical and organisational processes to protect the integrity and confidentiality of your personal data.
Your rights as the ‘Data Subject’
Under the GDPR you have a number of ‘rights’ which you can exercise at any time. Should you wish to do so please contact our Data Protection Manager. These rights might include:
- the right to access all of the data we process on you. This will be supplied to you within 1 month from the request being received.
- the right for any inaccurate data we hold on you to be corrected. We will make your amendments without undue delay.
- Where the contract has ended but consent has been obtained to process your data, you may have the right to be forgotten and your personal data to be erased without undue delay. Where we require your data (for contractual or legal obligation reasons), your data will be removed once the term of the contract has expired or in line with legal obligations.
- the right to restrict us from processing your personal data, which can be reversed by you.
- the right in certain circumstances to object to automated decision making, whereby we may use your data for profiling purposes to make a decision.
Transferring personal data
Due to the nature of the business, we work with a variety of GDPR compliant businesses which process your personal data on our instructions in order to ensure the progression of your matter. Below is a non-exhaustive list of the types of processors that we share your data with:
- Website hosting companies
- Marketing consultants
- Telephone suppliers
- Archive storage and confidential waste companies
- Insurance brokers & insurance companies
- Information Technology companies
- Secured servers
- Digital dictation providers
- Land Registry and search providers
At no time does your personal information leave the EU.
Talking to us about your rights or this Notice
Should you wish to speak to us about the way we process your data, or wish to exercise your rights as listed above, please contact Milners Solicitors Data Protection Manager, Victoria Barraclough firstname.lastname@example.org
However if you wish to direct your questions to the ICO, you can find their details at www.ICO.org.uk